Re: local network with twisted rj45

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:56:58 +0200
"Nick Demou" <ndemou@gmail.com> wrote:

> networking two pcs with a twisted (crosslink ) cable _couldn't_ get
> any easier! You just plug the cable to the PCs. That's it.
> Being so simple means it's more stable also (less parts less things to
> go wrong). There are only two drawback with them: they are useless
> with anything more than 2 pcs and they look exactly like normal ones
> (so you got to be extra cautious when picking).

Lately I saw more and more NICs and switches with Auto MDIX, sometimes
also called auto-crossover. As the name implys, with that hardware it
doesn't really matter what cables you use. I made it a habit to look
for those specifically, especially if there is no (or only minor) price
difference.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)