Re: backup strategy using rsync

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 02:08:31PM -0600, Randall Smith wrote:
> Since you mentioned rdiff-backup, I plan to compare the two.  I'm just
> trying to avoid a several day restore if someone walks out the door with
> the primary server or it blows up or whatever.

rdiff-backup is like rsync, only it saves 'reverse diffs' of
your files along with the latest copy. So if you look in
/path/to/backup/somefile.txt on the remote machine, it's the
same as somefile.txt on the local machine. But then there
will be reverse diffs that can get you back to an earlier
version of somefile.txt if you want them. You'll almost
certainly notice no performance differences between
rdiff-backup and rsync, but the functional differences are
pretty acute.

> I'm not using X, so that's not a problem.

My point was more general: the job of figuring out which
specific files scattered throughout /etc and /var are
specific to your hardware is annoying. My advice would be to
just exclude whole directories that you know contain
files which shouldn't be backed up -- directories like /sys,
/proc, etc.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org