backup strategy using rsync

I've been looking at various backup strategies in the case I need to quickly (within an hour or so) move to different hardware. I like Linux-VServer because it makes the system mostly hardware agnostic, but I only need a single instance. I got to thinking, how hard would it be to isolate the hardware dependent portions of a system, and simply backup and restore the hardware independent portions onto a new system using rsync? Can someone shed some light on the subject? A thinks I'm not clear on.

1. What directories (or scattered files) are dependent on the hardware (minus the cpu architecture).

2. If I were to backup all hardware agnostic files, what would be the most efficient way to restore the system to new hardware?

3. Is it feasible to keep a second system synchronized (with some lag time) so that it could come online very quickly. I have an idea for this. Keep two operating systems on the secondary machine. One is bare-bones while the other is the production mirror. When production is OK, the bare-bones system is running and synchronizes the filesystem(s) for the mirror OS. In the event of production failure, simply reboot into the mirror instance.

I'm sure there is more than one good way to do this. I'd love to hear your ideas.

Randall