Re: local network with twisted rj45

I use a cross-over cable all the time between two computers.
Then again, I have the cable.  If you don't and you can't make one, then
believe it or not an ethernet switch is often cheaper than a cross-over
cable.

I have in /etc/network/interfaces:
computer 1:
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

computer 2 is the same except for the address being 192.168.1.3

After you make the changes, on each computer:
	ifdown eth0
	ifup eth0

Also put both computers in both computer's /etc/hosts
	127.0.0.1	localhost
	192.168.1.1	computer1
	192.168.1.3	computer2

You should then be able to ping back and forth.

Remember that 192.168.1.0 is the network itself.

Read the debian-reference, and the relavent HOWTOs

Good luck,

Doug.