Re: boot + lvm ?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 02:24:44PM +0100, Stephane Durieux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I encounter a problem using lvm and lilo.
> On standart install, everythings works despite the boot partition is on a logical volum.
>
> But when I try to make a custom kernel and then run a lilo, I get the following message:
> device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
> Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed

> It seems that the line "root=/dev/mapper/volume_group1-logical_vol2" is the key of the problem.
> But how does it works on a standart install.
>
> I suppose I am not obliged to make a /boot partition

I don't know if you can do what you want.  On a standard install if you
choose LVM root you have to put /boot into a regular partition.  AFAIK
its because bootloaders can't see lvm.  Further, the install process
sets up the LVM mapping within the initrd so that the kernel knows
what's where.

On my etch system with separate /boot, my kernel parma is
	root=/dev/mapper/system-root
Note: system is the the name of the VG for the system, and root is the
LV for the / directory.

Doug.