Re: Server recommendations?

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 09:59 +0100, Stefan Bellon wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > I've been running this:
> >
> >         HP Proliant DL145 G2
> >         http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl145/
> >
> > Since May 2006, of course I don't have a REALLY fast one. But the
> > machine supports 1 or 2 processors (single or Dual core) and 32GB of
> > memory. It is a 1U machine with a PCIe and a PCI-X slot.
>
> Thanks for this information. However the URL you cite says that it can
> hold only up to 16GB of RAM (as do the QuickSpecs for that server).

Hmmm, I was going on memory (haha, a joke) So  I guess 16GB is the max.
And yeah it looks that way. I only have 1 processor and 4GB (4*1GB
Chips) being used.

> On another note: Are there any pros and cons regarding AMD vs. Intel?
> What about the form factor (rack vs. blade vs. tower)? I've built
> and administered several servers in the past, but it's the first time
> that I'm going for a server of that potential, therefore I'm grateful
> for any kind of advice.

For the price, you can't really go wrong. The machines have ~ 15
"double" fans in them, meaning they are really concerned about air flow.

Mind you, these are NOT quiet machines at all. If they stay cool, they
are nice and quiet. But once they really get "doing" and warm up the
fans go to 15K rpms.

> But do I understand it correctly that you cannot do anything really
> wrong when going for a HP Proliant since they mention Debian support for
> those servers?

Not all HP Proliant and/or Netservers are really able to support Debian
or RedHat Linux. So choose wisely. On a note, some of the *REALLY* new
models do support Linux, but have weird quirks in them that are in the
process of being fixed by HP and RedHat (which also means Debian will
get the fix). Ubuntu runs very well on most of the machines, if that is
your choosing.

You can also choose Sun's Sunfire X-series servers.

        http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/

Very capable machines as well. They do run Solaris *AND* many/most Linux
distros, besides the *BSDs. Sun kits are very well apportioned. I know a
VERY VERY large messaging company that deploy a rack of these a day when
doing work towards capacity enhancement. That turns out to be about 3
days a month. They do run Debian Linux on them.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux