Re: Re: Re: WEP encryption and ndiswrapper

Jan Schledermann wrote:
> Angelo wrote:
>

>> Jan Schledermann wrote:
>>
>>> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>>>
>>>   <snip>
>>>
>> And if I turn off WEP, then I'm able to connect either way.
>>
>> I kind of figured someone else might be going through this because it's
>> happening on both my desktop and my laptop.  But then again, both
>> machines have wirless chipsets with the Real Tek 8180 chipsets.  The
>> real strange thing is that they worked in Ubuntu.
>>
>> Angelo
>>

> I don't think that it is chipset related as I used a realtek 8xxx based wifi
> card in my previous server. It worked ok.
> My laptop uses a broadcom chipset. I just reinstalled it last week and
> started out using the broadcom kernel modules included with the 2.6.18
> kernel for the first time. That seriously sucked (lots of dropped packages
> and slow speed).
> I ditched the kernel modules and installed ndiswrapper again with the
> Windoze drivers supplied by Dell. It worked first time with very good
> performance, no errors or dropped packages.
> I use MAC filtering, no broadcasting of ESSID, a 26 hex-digit WEP key
> connecting to a Linksys WAG54GS WAP/adsl router.
> I don't use dhcp on the wifi device but fixed IP's.
>
> Do you see any disturbing / positive messages from ndiswrapper during boot
> and/or in the log files?

Nope, nothing about ndiswrapper.

I tried using WPA-PSK on the router, and it started to work, but then
suddenly the connections (both Windows and Linux) dropped off.  After
that, even turning off WEP and WPA completely produced similar results:
brief periods of connectivity then the connection dies.  As I've been
typing this email, I just lost my connection again.  I think I have a
router that's introducing other variables--it's a cheap one by
Trendnet.  I even tried putting it on channel 11 which no one is using
around here to reduce possible congestion.

So I guess at this point, I better make sure I can get all the standard
stuff working without worrying about Linux support.

Angelo