Re: usb failing, need new motherboard recommendations

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 09:28:01AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> After struggling for a week with strange usb problems - posted xsane usb
> problem - I believe my problem is a hardware problem.  One usb socket
> has failed: device not seen but device and hotplug ok if another usb
> socket is used.  Since I only have motherboard usb sockets I am
> considering replacing the motherboard or, more probably, the motherboard
> and cpu.

Buy a cheap 4 port USB 2.0 card and save your money for a couple of
months?

>The Athlon XP 1800 is ok but can be moved to an older computer
> with a much slower cpu.  The question is how big an upgrade?  I don't
> need to be at the cutting edge and I do want to be sure of Debian
> compatibility but  also I don't want to find out next month, or even
> next year, that I need to upgrade again.

Dual core AMD64 of some sort? Motherboards are relatively cheap - but by
the time you may need to buy a PSU, new SATA hard disk etc. you rarely
profit by building computers in old cases or reusing old components.

Save EUR 450 or so and build a new machine with the components you can
get once you have the money. If you buy now, there will always be
something newer/faster/cheaper three months away that you will wish you
had bought :( Just accept you'll always be behind the times :)

Andy

 Any recommendations?