usb failing, need new motherboard recommendations

After struggling for a week with strange usb problems - posted xsane usb problem - I believe my problem is a hardware problem. One usb socket has failed: device not seen but device and hotplug ok if another usb socket is used. Since I only have motherboard usb sockets I am considering replacing the motherboard or, more probably, the motherboard and cpu. The Athlon XP 1800 is ok but can be moved to an older computer with a much slower cpu. The question is how big an upgrade? I don't need to be at the cutting edge and I do want to be sure of Debian compatibility but also I don't want to find out next month, or even next year, that I need to upgrade again.

Any recommendations?

Tom