The Lost Sheep and Networking

Hello,

I recently acquired a fairly old computer. It has a 20GB hard disk,
256MB of RAM and a Pentium MMX 200MhZ processor.

It also has a 3Com Etherlink III card rev. B, which means that it is
supposed to use the 3c509B module.

I tried installing Debian etch from a netinstall CD, but I failed,
because I could not get networking to work, which meant that I could
not set up an archive mirror to use, which meant that I could not
install the base system.

After hours of pain, I tried installing FreeBSD, which did work.
However, after trying to use it for a while, I realized that I
severely hate it. There were several things which annoyed me, not the
least of which was that I hated the support on it.

In any case, I decided to try Debian again, but I cannot figure out
what's wrong with the network card.

When installing, debian-installer cannot recognize my card, and gives
me a list of modules. In it is ``3c509'', but without a letter.
However, it does say ``3Com Etherlink III'', so I select it.

DHCP fails, despite the fact that my router has DHCP enabled, and many
other computers in my house are using it. Setting up static IP does
not work either. However, the corresponding light on my router does
light up, and, what's more, when I run ``dhclient eth0'', my router
claims that the computer connected to it, and got the IP 192.168.1.102
(I can tell by the MAC address that it is my computer). However, the
computer itself is simply saying that it got no DHCPOFFERS.

I am at a total loss here. It is clear that the card is working,
because, at the very least, the MAC Address is being transferred.
However, I cannot connect anywhere, including to 192.168.1.1.

Any ideas?

--
Leonid Grinberg