Re: xorg & xfree86

On 1/15/07, Raghu Kodali <raghu@raghukodali.com> wrote:
I am not very clear about the differences between xorg & xfree86. Why
did we move from xfree86 in sarge to xorg in Etch? I tried to google it.
I could get only individual information but not a comparision.

xfree86 changed its licence to something not very free, so what
happened is that xorg foundation took the last remaining
freely-licenced xfree86 code and renamed it xorg, then started working
on that. Loads of other distros use xorg now, and I actually wonder
who's using xfree86, for new development today.