curious USB hard drive problem

I have a 2.5" Toshiba MK1032GAX hard drive in a USB powered
enclosure which doesn't seem to work properly with Debian.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen anything similar, or
has any ideas about what might be happening...

The curious thing is that I am fairly sure that the drive is
ok, because if I put it into an older (looks like the same
product but with older PCB version) enclosure it boots without
error.

But if I plug the problem enclosure into a Windows system with
the same hard drive installed it works fine, making it hard to
justify returning the enclosure as faulty. I have also tried
booting a different version of Linux (Foundry) from different
media and it can access the drive without problem.

Hence it is starting to look like an issue with this Debian
kernel and this particular USB HDD enclosure.

The symptoms I see are that the boot starts normally
 Lilo reads the kernel and initrd successfully
 The kernel reports the HDD manufacturer/model/capacity correctly
 Then...
	sda: assuming drive cache: write through
	SCSI device sda: 195371568 512-byte hdwr sectors (100030 MB)
	sda: Write Protect is off
	sda: assuming drive cache: write through
	sda:<6>usb 1-2 : reset high speed USB device using ehci_hdc and address 2
	usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
	usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
	usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
	usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
	usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
	sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00050000

The Debian install is Etch using RC1 install and kernel 2.6.18-3-486.
(the original 2.6.17 kernel behaves the same).

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be missing from this
particular enclosure that would effect Debian but not Windows
or Foundry Linux?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com