Re: PCI-E Gb LAN controller support

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 11:15:37AM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:05:14PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > My new ASUS motherboard has PCI-E Gb LAN controller on-board. I can't
> > get the Etch installer to recognize it. Should I be able to? Or is
> > it too new for Etch? ( I don't really need 1 Gb ethernet, but I would
> > like to be able to use the PCI slot for something else than an old
> > LAN card. )
> >

> I don't understand "PCI-E..on-board".  To me, either it's an adapter in
> a PCI-E slot or its integrated on the motherboard.  My Asus M2N-SLI
> Deluxe has two gigabit ethernets on-board integral to the nVidia
> chipset.  Etch installer saw them OK.
>
> What error messages do you get when you say that the Etch installer
> doesn't recognize it?
>
> Doug.

It's not exactly an error message. It gives a long list of lan drivers
and asks me to pick one for my ethernet interface. But none of them will
install when I pick it. I need to add another driver to the list, I think.

With clues from other responses, I've found source for a driver that I
need to compile into a loadable module. I expect that doing this will
solve my problem, once I get all the steps right. But I haven't had time
to do it, yet.

I also have reason to believe that the compiled driver module will
be added to a Debian repository soon, so maybe I should just wait rather
than struggling with something that I've never done before.

I don't think ethernet support comes from nVidia. The tradename that
I have found is Attansic L1.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon