Re: USB flash key and other issues.

alexandre suzuki(alex_o_suzuki@yahoo.com) is reported to have said:
> 1)I have a USB flash key of 1Gb but my DebianPPC-kernel 2.6.8 when
> booting recognize the key,the seller(Verbatim), etc. but when I try
> to mount the key I can´t find a filesystem to do so: msdos,vfat etc.
> are not good,I receive a warning saying that can´t find a FAT
> filesystem on the key.In MacOS9.

Don't know about MacOS9, but the first thing I do is plug in the
flash, find out what device it came up as, and run fdisk on it to find
out what it is formatted as. Then and only then do I try to mount it.

I then partition it and assign a type to each partition (usually ext2)
and maybe a swap.  Then I format it.  On my 2 Gig Verbatim, which is
used on an NSLU2 to run UnSlung, I have 2 ext partitions and a swap
partition.

You don't say how you "tried to mount it".  What did your command
look like?  mount -t something /dev/sda /mnt won't do it, but mount
/dev/sda[1|2|3] -t [vfat|msdos] would work, on all flash drives I have
ever had, when new.  When in doubt do 'man mount'.

> 2 the file system on the key is PC
> Exchange(MS-DOS)(PC Exchange is the extension that deals with
> MS-DOS,Windows filesystems.).  The key in System Requirements says
> that is compatible with Linux kernel >= 2.4.,do I need to format
> /dev/sda with mkfs?

You don't have to format it if you want to use the filesystem that is on
it now.  If you want something other then whats on it, then yes.

Works with all kernels 2.4 and above IF you have usb drivers built
into the kernel or you load them as modules.  Do an 'lsmod |grep usb'
to see if they are loaded. Mind shows these.
usb_storage
scsi_mod
usbcore
ide_core

> 2)I upgraded initrd-tools from version 0.1.78 to 0.1.81.1, (to
> install libc6-2.3.5-8) but when booting I see: .  .  .
> initrd-tools: 0.1.78 .  .  .
>
>   With dpkg --status initrd-tools  ,I see that 0.1.81.1 is installed
>   without any problem: install ok installed.  So,what is happening
>   here?I need to upgrade libc6 to 2.3.5-8 version but it needs
>   initrd-tools > 0.1.78.  I try and I can install libc6-2.3.5-8 but
>   I don´t do that because of potential problems.

As you don't give a clue as to what you are running (stable, testing,
or unstable) I will not try to guess what you want to do here, or
really what you are asking.

> 3) I can stop processes manually with the kill command.What is the
> command to start them manually?

I have no idea how to answer that question.  You might try to include
a wee bit more information in your questions to this list, if you
expect intelligent answers.
 <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

Wayne

NOTE:  I am subscribed to this list so replies go to the list
NOT to me.  Replies directed to me are deleted at the pop3 server
before downloading.

--
The definition of an upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.