Re: Adding a new HDD - how do I move /var/lib/mysql ?

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 11:34:02AM +0600, Abu Zaher wrote:
> My question is slightly related to this post, so I'm posting it here.
>
> I'm currently running my Sid on a 40GB hdd which is running out of life, In
> a few days I'll buy a new 80GB. Now what is the best way 2 dump my whole /
> to my hdd so that I can boot and do all my stuff from that hdd? I mean the
> above discussion is for /var/lib/mysql, will the same work for / ?
>
> Sorry 4 any inconveniences.

You __can__ go through the hoops to do this.  See the HOWTOs
(multi-disk, large disk, etc).  However, I look on changing the / drive
as an opportunity to reinstall...

Buy two drives instead of one.  Get Etch daily-build (unless its stable
by the time you get this:))

Install fresh setting up new drives with at least two raid1 partitions.
I have two 80 GB SATA drives, each with 3 partitions:

	1	64 MB	raid1 --> md0 --> mount on /boot
			(since grub can't deal with LVM)
	2	16 GB	raid1 --> md1 --> LVM: VG-system
	3	64 GB	LVM: VG-local (therefore two devices in this VG)

lv-system-root	320 MB	--> mount on /
lv-system-usr	  4 GB	--> mount on /usr
lv-system-var	  4 GB	--> mount on /var
lv-local-home	 12 GB  --> mount on /home

On-line backups of my stuff goes in /var/local/backup (untill copied to
other media) and is therefore protected by raid1.

This does two things:

Raid1 protects the installed system so that one drive failure doesn't
kill the system.

lv-local-home is just a straight LV.  When I get into video editing, I
can create a stripped lv-local-video for better performance if needed.
Adding space later for /home is as simple as making it a PV and adding
it to the local VG.

If I __needed__ raid1 of /home, I would have forgon the vg-local and
just had two partitions on the drives.

Note that I have 1 GB swap so went with /tmp on tmpfs and put swap in
lv-system as an encrypted swap.

All this was set up in Etch's installer.

Runs great.

YMMV.
Doug.