Problem in running postgres

Hi,

I'm currnetly running Debian Sid. When my system boots up, I get this error:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

So i cant run postgresql. Moreover, while I try 2 ping localhost, it does not respond. Then while after running my pc 4 some times, if i try 2 ping 2 localhost, works, and /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 start also works. (and this does not work everytime) :O

I'm a newbie. Can someone explain this?

Regards

--
Abu Zaher Md. Faridee