alsaconf needed every boot

Hello.  Yes, I did search the mail archives, and found lots of potential answers in the search results.  However, the web-server could neither find nor display them; so, I am putting forward this (sadly) common question here:  is there a way to just have good ol' debian load the sound drivers for my soundcard automatically, without me needing to run alsaconf each time?  I've tried entering the module in /etc/modules file, but this fails.  The required module is snd-intel8x0.  I'm using Debian Etch, with KDE.

Mark