Re: cant set group owner cdrom for link /dev/dvd

On 12:14 Fri 12 Jan     , Greg Folkert wrote:

> In any case, if you are using any kind of Debian Linux other than Woody
> or before, /dev is managed and should not be messed with directly. Rules
> for device file creation need to be made. /etc/udev is where this magic
> resides. For info on how-to do that go here:
>
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>
> Here ends the lesson on symbolic links, udev and the /dev no-nos
>
> Hope this helps.

thank you both very much. I was of course confused and you set me straight.

I have still been fighting udev, and need to reread that reference which i read so long ago.

However, it is true that I am having trouble and got some
error messages from ogle (on a different machine so i cant just copy them in) that made me think that
there was a "permissions" problem with /dev/dvd. Obviously there is not so I will have
to dig deeper to see what the problem was.

Thank you all for your help.

Mitchell