Mis/Dis information (was Re: smooth upgrades)

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 23:35 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:21:16 -0800
> tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > i have my apt-get parameter files set up properly, i think, but when
> > i do an apt-cache policy i don't like what i get, as follows:
> >
> > 	debian:/etc/apt# cat sources.list
> >
> > 	## Testing - Debian (currently Etch)
> > 	deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> > 	deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
> > non-free
> >

> > 	debian:/etc/apt# cat apt.conf
> > 	APT::Default-Release "etch";
>
> It's not related to your problem, but 'etch' doesn't work as a
> Default-Release. You must use 'testing'. Also this options is needed
> only if you have sources for unstable as well, in order to prevent an
> upgrade to unstable.

Yes it will he has the proper names in the sources.list. He *MAY* use
"etch" as long as he uses the same name in his sources.

Trust me, yes you can. And yes it will work. The migration from testing
to stable is the whole reason for it to work.

Think of this: You auto-update with -y to catch security updates as
quickly as possible. You miss the date of the change. You use the
"testing" moniker.

Two weeks after etch turns into stable, you notice this, mainly from a
*TON* of things being broken when things are allowed into testing from
Experimental to Sid to "testing". You are screwed. Only thing to do is
to go forward to Sid to get working pieces.

Oops.

Now lets look at using the moniker "etch", auto-update with -y to catch
security updates as quickly as possible. The migration of etch to stable
goes off and two weeks later you notice the event happened in the news.
Panicking you quickly login hoping everything is fine. It is. You can
now change to "stable" as a Default Release and in the sources.list. In
other words at your leisure.

Does that explain it for you?

You have to use "etch" in both the apt.conf and sources.list for it to
work. I've ridden the upgrade path from "slink" this way. So, please do
not spread dis-information. Though it might be good info for stable only
"re-installers" versus the "rolling updaters" like many experienced
Debian users are.

</off type=soapbox>
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net