Re: error using make-kpkg

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:51:13AM -0700, jdaues wrote:
  > Just curious:
> >
> >If you're using a stock debian kernel, why not use the pre-packaged
> >nvidia drivers?
> >
> >Get X working with the nv driver and save that xorg.conf as
> >xorg.conf.nv.
> >
> >Then install the nvidia drivers and run the nvidia-xconfig script to
> >convert the xorg.conf file and ensure that the modules get loaded
> >automatically.
> >
> >It worked for me running Etch amd64.
> >

>> I'm not sure I know enough to answer your question. I first attempted to
> use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run from here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9746.html
> but my graphics card is too old.
>
> Anyways, it is now working at 1024x768. I thinks its capable of more,
> though.

If you're runing Etch: (if not, I don't know Sarge+nVidia).
Try this without X running, i.e. from text command line.

install (or make sure you have installed:
	xserver-xorg-video-all
	nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 (which also depends on most recent
		linux-image-2.6-amd64)
	nvidia-glx
	nvidia-xconfig
and all their dependancies.

run nvidia-xconfig
	this alters your xorg.conf to use the nvidia driver.

startx.

There's no reason now to get the stuff from nVidia's website since it
has all been packaged up for you already.

I'm using an Asus EN7300GT silent graphics card with 256 MB ram.  My
monitor is an Intergraph flat-CRT 21" drafting monitor capable of
1600x1200 @75 Hz.  When I first startx'd after nvidia-xconfig I got
1024x768 so I dpkg-reconfigured xorg and chose only the 1600x1200
resolution.  That did it.

The advantage of using the debian packages for nVidia, especially
running Etch as Testing is that as changes are made to the kernel and
you install new kernel images, the packaged drivers follow right behind.
You don't have to recompile the modules each time.

YMMV.

Doug.