Re: Gnome

On 1/11/07, Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:
On (11/01/07 18:50), Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> my laptop have a small LCD screen, and I found the defaults fonts,
> bars and icons too large: what is the best way to reduce theirs size
> (and thus to enlarge my screen) ?

You need to check your screen resolution:

Go to: System > Preferences > Screen Resolution

You should be able to choose a higher resolution from the drop down.

However, if you're already on the highest res available you probably
need to reconfigure X

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It helps to have some information of your screen's capabilities and
parameters when doing this.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...
...strategies for business

An easy way to do this on the fly is using the command:

xrandr

This will display your available resolutions for the screen.  Then you can switch the size with:

xrandr size n

where n is the number (0--some number) that serves as the identifier for an specific screen resolution (which you should have gotten with xrandr the first time).

Although, the best way is to reconfigure (as you were indicated previously) with dpkg-reconfigure and only selecting the best suitable resolution from the menu.

Regards,

-Cisco

GIT - Guru-In-Training
Debian (Etch)