Managing hundreds of debian servers

Greetings list,

I am curious what other sysadmins use to manage hundreds of debian
servers, more specifically,  how do you control the
upgrade/installation of packages. I am familiar with cfengine, but we
currently use debian packages to deploy all our current conf files.
Some considerations would be;

  only deploying to specific servers at specific time ( to avoid all
web server being down, for example)

  being able to roll back if there was a problem in the code or package

I do like the idea of using a pull based solution, rather than a push
based solution, but I do see situations where immediate releases need
to be done.

Any ideas or links to current resources?

TIA!

~G