Re: Newbie question: Exim - trouble receiving incoming emails

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Sackville-West" <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:33 AM
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Exim - trouble receiving incoming emails

okay, so I had to try this to learn and

andrew@basement:~$ dig +short bigpond.com mx
10 extmail.bigpond.com.

andrew@basement:~$ ping www.bigpond.com
PING www.bigpond.com (144.135.18.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 144.135.18.32: icmp_seq=1 ttl=233 time=212 ms

cool, but...

andrew@basement:~$ ping extmail.bigpond.com
PING extmail.bigpond.com (144.140.80.13) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from extmail.bigpond.com (144.140.80.13): icmp_seq=1 ttl=234
time=364 ms

that's a different IP. looks to me like the MX record is wrong.

Am I doing that right?

Hi Andrew,

Bigpond.com isn't my site, it's the ISP that I have registered my domain name with (ie encomium.com.au) and it seems to resolve fine via http, ssh and ping.

Any email to <user>@encomium.com.au however gets the 'No server' message.

All I'm really trying to figure out is whether my mail server settings are wrong or whether my ISP is redirecting my email traffic to force me to purchase extra mailboxes on their servers. Is it possible for a DNS provider to redirect traffic to a domain on a particular port (ie 25 and 110)?

Also if they are redirecting my mail to an account on their servers, say blah@bigpond.com, would it be possible to set this account up as the primary mail repository? That is, if all email traffic for my site was directed into this account, would it be possible to set my server up to download the messages via POP, sort them by username, then forward them to the respective recipients?

-Duncan