Re: how to prevent these windows within web pages

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 12:41:50PM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> If I go to this web page, I get a window within the web page and I have
> to click on "close window" to get rid of it:
> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/32640.htm
>
> How are these kind of windows implemented? Java script? And how do I
> prevent these kind of windows on Mozilla and Firefox? I don't get any
> other kind of popups or extra windows, but these kind of windows seem to
> be circumventing the blockers.

well I have to say that is the most aggregious linux site I've ever
seen. At least one pop-up plus that window plus the streaming
video... holy crap that's ugly.

I use adblocker extension on firefox and I put in
*banners.sys-con.com* into ad block and it killed the window, but not
the pop-up, which is annoying.

personally, I'd just not go to that site again, but that's just me.