Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Mailing List Netiquette

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:37:30PM -0800, Justin Gallardo wrote:
> When replying
> to an email, is it proper to leave the original poster in the To: line of
> the email, and the CC the list? Or is it better to just send your reply to
> the list, not specifically mentioning the original poster. Possibly it is
> acceptable to just do whatever Reply All in your client gives you(I would
> think the effect of this is configurable through the mailing list). I was
> curious if I could get other's input on this matter.

It is best to use an email client which has a reply option that a)
is aware of mailing lists and b) honors the Mail-Followup-To header
when present.  (mutt is one example of such a client.)

Failing that, the next best option is to reply to only the list or only
the original poster (depending on the content of the reply) unless the
original poster has requested otherwise.

While you are correct in your guess that some mailing list software is
capable of suppressing delivery of messages to members who have been
cc'd directly in a "reply to all", not all list software can do so and,
even if the capability is present, it may not be enabled and is definitely
not 100% reliable, so you really shouldn't depend on it.

--
I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much Liberty
than those attending too small degree of it.