Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Mailing List Netiquette

Justin Gallardo wrote:
> When replying to an email, is it proper to leave the original poster in
> the To: line of the email, and the CC the list?

    I am a staunch believer that if one is replying to a post on the list it
should go to the list only.  Reply-to-all defeats the very purpose of the list
 which is to provide a single address which in turn broadcasts the message out
to every /willing/ member of the list.

    A long discussion on a list (never have those on D-U, nooooooo) where all
the participants mindlessly slap reply-to-all would see an ever increasing
number of messages being send from each successive poster to all participants
in the thread.  In theory if all members of the list were to contribute one
message to the thread the final poster would be CCing the entire list.

    Along that same theoretical thread how does one unsubscribe from a CC
list?  It is completely and utterly unacceptable to CC the OP unless it is
requested.  Then, and only then, should one CC the OP and noone else in the
the thread.

    By the same token I also feel that not all messages should go to the list.
 I know some people in the past have expressed the notion that all
communication should go to the list so as to be properly archived for future
searches.  However I fail to see how emailing someone in a heated discussion
to point out that they're being a right and true jackass has any usefulness
for public consumption.  Such missives broadcasted on the list only serve to
put the individual on the defensive while the same message in private might
get them to realize what they're doing and calm down.

    So on your question in general post to the list, don't CC unless
requested, send private messages when the contents are not beneficial for
public consumption.