Re: Debian unstable DVD-s

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:10:15AM +0100, Ivan Imperl wrote:
> Nedavno Andrew M.A. Cater pise:
>
> | Testing is currently settling down immediately prior to release :
> | once it's released, the pace of updates will be slow and
> | manageable.
> |
> | Most of what you need is on the first DVD of any Debian set -
> | therefore all you need is a 4.4GB download.
>
> I do not think that first DVD will be enough for me. I currently use
> Debian sid three DVD set (more than one year old), and I installed
> quite a lot of packages from third DVD.
>
> But OK, I will switch to testing. Will I have any problems with the
> switch from more than year old unstable / sid to testing?

No - in fact, it should be very straightforward. I've successfully
"downgraded" machines that I installed four or five months ago to
testing.

Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to read "etch" where it says
"unstable" or "sid". Etch is "testing" today but will be "stable" soon.
If you reference it by name, then you won't have to make any changes
when it becomes stable. If you stay on "testing", expect big changes to
happen as soon as Etch is released and the patches and changes that have
been held up by the release process come flooding in.

Use apt or aptitude to do a update and dist-upgrade. Check first to see
how much you need to change before you carry out the change.

If you use aptitude, use the -s for simulate option.

If you use apt-get, use -s for simulate or --dry-run

Most importantly: do the changes slowly. If you have to change hundreds
of packages, start by upgrading apt and aptitude and dpkg, then the
kernel and udev, then perl, then the base system. If it means upgrading
them in groups of ten and dealing with dependencies as they come up: do
it that way and it will make your life easier than if you just blindly
dist-upgrade.

> And another question. Recently I upgraded my hardware, and now I have
> AMD Sempron am2 2.8GHz processor (on Asus M2N-E mobo). What should I
> download / buy? I know what i386 is, I used that until now.

This Sempron is 64 bit capable. It will run the 32 bit i386 with no
problems. amd64 is what you need for your 64 bit architecture: ia64 is
the Intel Itanium.  There are slightly fewer packages: some 32 bit only
packages don't work easily (Real Player and Flash) under 64 bit. It really
doesn't matter and is your choice. AMD64 is 64 bit only: it is a little
more complicated to get a dual 32/64 bit environment.

> But what is the difference between ia64 and amd64? Should I download /
> buy any of this? Do I get fewer packages than with i386? Perhaps I
> should get all three and play with it :-)

HTH,

Andy