Re: How to tell if a Linux machine is a zombie?

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
On Monday 08 January 2007 14:13, Russell L. Harris wrote:

So, before I preach about the dangers of spyware and zombies to my
buddies using Window$, how can I be certain that my own Debian machine
has not been compromised and has not become a zombie?  Is there a
simple test which I can run on a weekly basis?

You can use senderbase statistics to see if there is a huge increase in email activity from the IP address under consideration.

For example, if you visit

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=204.13.69.220

It says that on average the machine sends 10^2.9 emails per day. In the last 30 days, it sent 10^3.6 emails per day. Last day (ie yesterday) it sent 10^4.9 emails. The trend clearly indiciates that there has been an increase in email activity which might correlate with the machine being a zombie.

This is not a fool proof test. But I have seen people being referred to this website on spamcop forums, news groups.

Also check dshield to see if your machine has tried to get in anywhere. Go to http://www.dshield.org/ipinfo.html?ip=<your.ip.add.ress>.

Some entries are benign noise, but if you see several thousand hits on port 22, you are probably owned.