Re: setting a spca5xx webcam under sarge?

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 07:35:12PM -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >>Hi andrew,
> >>I tested the camera with the utility from the driver author, spcaview
> >>and spcagui. Cat'ing /dev/video1 (video0 is a bttv card) froze the
> >>machine just the same.
> >>
> >>So, the problem is with the driver?
> >
> >sounds like it. using cat pretty much eliminates everything but the
> >drivers from the chain. but maybe you are conflicting with the bttv
> >card? can you pull the tv card and try it? maybe you have conflicting
> >interrupts? as I said before, have you tried the binary modules from
> >debian ?
> >
> I upgraded the machine to etch, so now its 2.6.18-3-k7. Before that I
> did try removing the bttv card, but no difference. Actually, I could set
> those utilities to open both the webcam and the bttv card, doing '-d
> /dev/video[1,2]'. The bttv was ok (no freeze), but the cam froze.
> Also, I received feedback from Michel Xhaard, the author of the driver,
> and following his advice, I upgraded to the new gspcav1 driver. Now the
> machine doesn't freeze anymore. I seem to be moving forward, ;). But
> spcagui and spcaview now open a window without any image. All I get is a
> dark background.
> So, I 'm stuck in this point.

I've not used either program so you're on your own there.

> What I already did was:
> - Test the webcam in a virtual win in the same machine: test ok.

what do you mean by this?

> - Tried with both 'using frame buffer' option from xorg conf and 'not
> using frame buffer'. (This is because when quitting, spcagui print
> 'Unmapping frame buffer' and 'freeing frame buffer' to the console. Test
> yield no difference.
>
> I am using the nvidia 3D binary driver, if it makes any difference. And
> now the bttv card is installed.

don't think it matters

> I was told to upgrade to 2.6.19, but no further explanation. So, it
> remains to be seen. Sounds reasonable?

I'm running my camera on debian sid binary kernel (2.6.18-3 I think).

> Do you have any idea whats going on?

nope. ;-)

why don't you try one of the other tools to view it before you start
heading off on tangents. I've had success with camstream and gqcam. In
one, if not both of them (not at my machine right now), you have to
close the camera window and re-open a new one to get an image. worth a
shot. another you could try is motion. its strictly cli, but will
generate a whole mess of jpg's and avi's when you move in front of the
camera.