Re: setting a spca5xx webcam under sarge?

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 10:47:43PM -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a 'Z-Star Microeletronics Corp.' webcam in this
> sarge machine (name provided by lsusb, together with '0ac8:305b'. The
> driver's website http://mxhaard.free.fr claims this is a supported
> camera). After some googling, I downloaded the spca5xx driver and
> compiled it with module-assistant. Everything went ok, and modprobe
> inserts the driver with no apparent problems. The thing is, accessing
> the camera causes the whole system to freeze. Some tutorials suggest its
> a gcc version problem between the kernel gcc and the driver gcc.
> Relevant modules loaded are:
> spca5xx
> videodev
> v4l1-compat
> v4l2-common
> usbcore

I don't know much, but how are you accessing the camera? what if you
do a

cat /dev/video[0] > testvid

does that cause a freeze?

if not, can you play that file in mplayer or xine or whatever?

this method sometimes works with tuner cards for example just to see
if the thing is working. I just tried it with my webcam and it didn't
really work, in that I got no playable video (probably due to
compression), but at least it shows that there is info coming from the
camera.

> Other people seem to be using this webcam model quite successfully, with
> various distros, so I believe its some troubleshootable thing which I am
> missing badly.
> Someone help?

I think that you can get spca5xx binaries from debian, its the gspca
that needs compiling... at least in sid its spca5xx-modules-<kernel>