Re: Does XFS work with LVM?

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 04:39:45PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I run JFS on everything.  Even my 486 with ancient hardware, JFS has
> been the most forgiving.  I could never see a need to shrink a
> partition.  For my new box I've gone with LVM with JFS on top.  Under
> the LVM I have raid1 for the system stuff, pure LVM for user stuff.

I tend to use LVM over RAID1 whenever possible.  If *really* need to
maximize space, I'll occasionally go with a 4 or 8 drive RAID5.

> I had a WD Cavier that died.  I think the bearing overheated and the
> speed wasn't constant as it squeeled.  After I powered-off and it
> cooled, the JFS was able to sort itself out and I saved the data.

Good to know.  Of course, there is always the freezer trick, and the
oven trick.

> If you really need to shrink an LV, just make the new smaller LV and
> put the filesystem on it, copy the data over, then remove the old LV.
> Similar to moving stuff from one drive to another before LVM came along.

Good point.  I'd not thought about that as a possible way to "shrink" a
JFS or XFS partition.

Regards,

-Roberto

--