RE: export question

Here is the problem. What you suggest will place the variable in the
environment, but that is what export is supposed to do.

>From the man for bash
export [-fn] [name[=word]] ...
export -p
    The supplied names are marked for automatic export to the environment of
subsequently executed commands.

Export should allow me to use the variable in other scripts, but it does not
seem to be doing what it does if used in the profile.

That is what I am confused about.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike McCarty [mailto:Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:22 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: export question

Tony Heal wrote:
> Maybe I am looking for something I should not see, but if 'export' places
> variable in the environment shouldn't I be able to see it when using the
> 'set' command. I wrote this small script to test this and nothing shows in
> set. I know I am missing something. If I had the same lines into
> /etc/profile when I log in I see JAVA_HOME in set.
>

> #!/bin/sh
>

> JAVA_HOME='/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03'
>
> export JAVA_HOME

It *is* set in the sub-process created when you run the script.
But that exits. If you execute the shell script in your current
shell, then it will work. For that you use the '.' command. Like
this...

$ cat set_java.sh
#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME='/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03'
export JAVA_HOME

$ ./set_java.sh

$ set | grep JAVA

$ . set_java.sh

$ set | grep JAVA

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03

$

I added spaces to make it easier to read.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.