How to move an existing installation to raid 1

Hi,

I searched the net looking for instruction to move an existing installation to raid 1 setup, but could not find much. So I thought I could ask here. I have a semi custom (debiab sarge based) installation. Custom part being mainly kernel build and a little bit of non standard networking. I am interested in moving the setup to raid 1. In the past I have moved my system (to nonrraid larger disks) as follows

 0) Assume my current installation has root=/dev/hdb1
1) Add a new disk to computer, partition and mount it similar to running system but at a different mount point.
 2) Create a boot disk to boot current installation (ie root = /dev/hdb1)
 3) Reboot using a debian netinstall CD or some such stand alone system
4) Mount my existing installation hierarchy on /xxx/src and new disk/partitions /xxx/dest
 5) cp -av /xxx/src/.  /xxx/dest/.
6) Shut down. swap the new disk so that they occupy the place of old installation. (I keep partition naming/mount point similar)
 7) Reboot with disk created in step 2
8) Lilo to make the new set of disks to work like before. Eject floppy and reboot to see how it goes. 9) Any thing breaks swap the disk back to get the old system and redo, fixing the problem.

Can some thing similar be done to shift from a plain installation into a raid installation?

I guess I will have to change step 1 to create raid 1 and step 5 on how I copy I also need to do a slightly different boot disk for it to boot from raid array in step 7 How do I install mbr when booting from inside raid? Will the root=/dev/hda work with Lilo even if the system is running on a raid partition?

If you know of any existing document to do the above move, please let me know.

Regards
Ramesh