Still getting loads of updates on Etch although frozen

I thought that Testing was frozen, but for days I have been getting loads of
updates for my Etch install. See below for todays.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Jan  4 22:48:56 2007
djmons@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/djmons# apt-get update
Get:1 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://deb.opera.com testing Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release
Hit http://deb.opera.com testing Release
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg [378B]
Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://deb.opera.com testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing Release
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages
Ign http://deb.opera.com testing/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://deb.opera.com testing/non-free Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Fetched 3B in 4s (1B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
debian:/home/djmons# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  iputils-ping
  adduser gedit gedit-common gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-menus
  gnome-panel gnome-panel-data hpijs initrd-tools iputils-arping kappfinder
  kate kcontrol kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-doc
  kdebase-kio-plugins kdepasswd kdeprint kdesktop kdm kfind khelpcenter kicker
  klipper kmenuedit konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kpager kpersonalizer
  ksmserver ksplash ksysguard ksysguardd ktip kwin libeel2-2 libeel2-data
  libglade2-0 libglu1-xorg libgnome-media0 libgnome-menu2 libkonq4 libldap2
  libnautilus-burn3 libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common
  libpango1.0-dev libqt3-compat-headers libqt3-headers libqt3-mt libqt3-mt-dev
  libsnmp-base libsnmp9 netkit-ping python-gmenu qt3-dev-tools snmp
  x-window-system x-window-system-core x11-common xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl
  xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibs-data xlibs-static-dev xnest xorg xserver-xorg
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all xterm
77 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 59.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 5773kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

What I do not understand also is the "Diffindex" stuff added to the packages
lines. I'm ssh'd into Etch from FC2, and there are also many numbered lines
ending in .pdiff on the machine running Etch, which do not display on the
machine running FC2.

I've just changed /etc/apt/sources.list entries from testing to Etch, and run
apt-get update again, followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. I now have the same
amount of packages to download, so it appears there are still a lot of
updates for Etch even though testing is frozen.

What the hell though are these "Diffindex" things, and all the lines while
running apt-get update that end in "pdiff". I havn't seen them in Sarge, and
don't recall having seen them in Etch before a couple of weeks ago.

Etch is running ok. Slow to bootup for some reason (took 8mins the other day),
but is otherwise working ok.

Nigel.