Re: need for something like samhain with dialup?

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 19:17 -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> I'm seeking a quick word of advice:
>
> For simple dial-up intermittant internet access, running amd64 Etch, is
> there any need for something like samhain or is that just overkill?
>
> If there is, is samhain the best or is there something better?
>
> I don't have anything listening on outside interfaces, currently have
> ipmasq installed and will set up shorewall to replace it.

IMHO that's overkill, but you could always do it just for fun ;-)

Having sane passwords, preferably only using keys, a minimal amount of
services available to the outside world, making regular backups and
being quick with security updates is much more important.

If you do want something to keep track of the integrity of your files, I
think the package integrit would be easier to set up and use.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson