Re: IP Address networking - best way?

On Thursday, January 04, 2007 Justin Hartman wrote:
Currently my /etc/network/interfaces is configured as:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 70.87.206.50
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 70.87.206.49
I thought that adding the following would allow me to assign and use
the other IPs on the server:
auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 70.87.206.51
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 70.87.206.49
Turns out that after an "/etc/init.d/networking restart" all that
happened was I killed networking and can't access the server at all.

You defined the base address as 70.87.206.50.
Then re-defined the base adddress (that's what the ":0" means) to be 70.87.206.51...
Which isn't a valid thing to do...
Remove the original entry and replace it with the following:
#Base address
auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
      address 70.87.206.50
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 70.87.206.49
#Alias adress #1
auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
      address 70.87.206.51
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 70.87.206.49
#Alias adress #2
auto eth0:2
iface eth0:2 inet static
      address 70.87.206.52
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 70.87.206.49
#Alias adress #3
auto eth0:3
iface eth0:3 inet static
      address 70.87.206.53
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 70.87.206.49
#Alias adress #4
auto eth0:4
iface eth0:4 inet static
      address 70.87.206.54
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 70.87.206.49

Don;t know why you need to put all of them on a single interface...
But that should work.
Later,
Larry Irwin