Re: Can't find nfs-utils on testing

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 03:30 +0100, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I can't get nfs to run on my Debian testing system.  The nfs howto
>
> An nfs server, to be more precise.
>
> > says the package nfs-utils is necessary but I can't find it.  For
> > example with:
>
> This is probably unhelpful bullshit what I wrote, since I found this
> error message in /var/log/syslog
>
> Jan  3 02:57:52 debian kernel: NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
> Jan  3 02:57:52 debian kernel: NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
> Jan  3 02:57:52 debian nfsd[8094]: nfssvc: Address already in use
>
> But what might block this address?
>
> netstat -a |grep 8094
>
> just gives no output
>
> > Your
> still
> > puzzled Debian newbie.

nfsd[8094] == nfsd process number 8094

That was the process that tried to start up.

Example:

        Jan  2 22:00:10 princess nfsd[21152]: nfssvc: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)

Here is my active process list, as you can see 21152 is no where to be
found:
	princess:/var/log# ps ax | grep nfsd
	 3117 ?        S<     0:00 [nfsd4]
	 3118 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3119 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3120 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3121 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3122 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3123 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3124 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]
	 3125 ?        S      0:00 [nfsd]

So as you can see, you read the error incorrectly.

The error you see in your dmesg, just shows something is trying to start
another set of nfs-kernel-servers. If this is the only error, you might
have a "bound only to local only vs. network available" addresses or
127.0.0.1 (lo) vs eth0.

You might check in /etc/defaults/ in portmap or nfs-common or
nfs-kernel-server for some of the NEED_* variables being incorrect.

Follow the references mentioned in them.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux