Re: Where to go to learn about reducing electricity use?

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:40:11 +0100, Douglas Tutty wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 05:06:02PM -0600, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to make my Etch box use less power, but I'm having a hard
>>>time consolidating all the information I'm finding. Is there a package I
>>>can install or a web page I can read that is a gentle guide to reducing my
>>>power usage?
>>>

>>A good place to start may be something like the laptop-howto.
>>
>>What power are you trying to reduce?  Beware spinning down drives to
>>reduce power; spinning up reduces drive life.
>>

>Hi Doug,
>
>Thanks for your reply. It is a self-built Athlon desktop, though I assume
>much of the advice in the laptop-howto will be relevant. I will take a
>look. I'm happy to provide more specs on the box if that will be helpful.
>
>I'm not really sure how to answer your question. I know that spinning down
>drives is not such a good idea, and that I can reduce processor speed when
>idle (though how I don't know), but beyond that I don't have a good idea
>of what options are available to me.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Reid

reid,
athcool saves both temperature and power. Its a very simple script,
written for athlons.

bruno@frank:~$ apt-cache show athcool
Package: athcool
Section: misc
Installed-Size: 104
Maintainer: Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.3.10-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), pciutils (>= 1:2.1.11-11)
Filename: pool/main/a/athcool/athcool_0.3.10-1_i386.deb
Size: 15508
MD5sum: 9132b0b9182d88272e4611a5a6ebc635
SHA1: c0eab09abcd0b166410bd2ff39fb1618df72ce16
SHA256: 662230d075c0c83295e7327fc837b8c708453899b0e849dcbcacfe4fc7aeedd7
 athcool is a small utility for enabling/disabling Powersaving mode
 for AMD Athlon/Duron processors.
 .
 By enabling Powersaving mode you can lower power consumption and
 CPU temperature when the CPU is idle.
 .
 Powersaving works only if your kernel supports ACPI (APM does not
 work), because athcool does only (un)set the "Disconnect enable when
 STPGNT detected" bits in the Chipset's Northbridge. To really save
 power, the STPGNT signal has to be sent when the CPU is idling. This
 is done by the ACPI subsystem when C2 state entered.
 .
 !!!WARNING!!!
 Depending on your motherboard and/or hardware components, enabling
 Athlon powersaving mode sometimes causes:
 .
  * noisy or distorted sound playback,
  * a slowdown in harddisk performance,
  * system locks or instability,
  * massive corruption of the filesystem (observed at least once).
 .
 If you met those problems, you should not use athcool. Please use
 athcool AT YOUR OWN RISK.
 .
 If athcool works fine for you, and you want it to run automatically
 on startup, please read the /usr/share/doc/athcool/README.Debian
 file.