Re: grub doesn't worj on my primary drive...

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:06:48PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I installed Etch on my old Gateway 2000 PC.  The slave drive is 13GB in
> size and Etch is parked on it.
>
> The primary drive is a smaller 1GB drive with Windows 98 on it.

> It didn't work properly because on booting I get an error from GRUB
>
> GRUB 1,5
> Grub fails (or something like that)
> Error 18
>
> I can't fire up Windows or Debian.

At least you get grub so all is not lost.  If you get a grub menu you
can edit debian's grub entry pointing it to the correct (to grub) drive
for your debian partition.  It would be best if you had access to the
grub documentation (e.g. the html manual).  Finding the right grub drive
can be done interactivly from the grub edit functionality but can be
arcane without the manual.  It involves using the tab key to get grubs
list of possibilities.  E.g. kernel ( TAB will show the drives grub
sees, ditto later for partitions.

Don't give up, grub will do it, but find and read the manual.

Doug.