Re: What's the difference between a display manager and a window manager?

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:56:30AM +0100, Misko wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:21:35PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > What's the difference between a "display manager" and a "window
> > manager"?
>
> Maybe Rick wanted to ask (if not him than I am :)
> What is the difference between a "desktop manager/enviroment" (GNOME/KDE/XFce4)
> and a "window manager" (fluxbox/metacity/IceWm)?

The concept of a 'window manager' exists as a well defined term in
the X Window System. There is no 'Desktop Environment/desktop manager'
defined in X11, so it has to be considered an application layer sitting
on top of X11.

A 'window manager' looks after the placement, stacking and decoration of
root level windows, usually provides a few menus in the root window, and
often includes libraries/style guide to assist in developing applications
which are consistent and follow similar conventions and aesthetics.

The 'desktop environment' like KDE/GNOME/MacOS/MSWindows includes a window
manager (in the latter two examples hard wired into the OS) plus a
suite of application programs with consistent GUIs intended to make a
complete self contained easy to use work environment, usually designed
to eliminate the requirement to use a command line shell and hence be
more accessible to a broader customer base..

The terms are not always used consistently, and I am not aware of an
'official' definition of 'desktop environment', but the 'X Window System'
documentation is pretty clear on exactly what is meant by the term
'window manager'.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com