Re: GPL X-rays

2006/12/4, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il>:

> > No one would use lossy compression on medical x-rays.

lossy jpeg conforms to the DICOM Standard
Before I had a working linux viewer, just wanted to look at images.
If you haven't to see series exams (aka MR, CT) display from ImageMagick works fine (it also works for serie files, but manipulating DICOM tags is not its best feature; cross-referencing could be a must even for radiologists w/ lot experience, hence aeskulap).

GIMP can aquire and export DICOM format files.

dcmtk contais conversion binaries (DICOM to much more than I've needed). ctn is server oriented, but it is based on dcmtk, and pays back in turn imagectn database to dcmtk. If you're interested you should try Pablo Sau (somewhere on sourceforge.net) work, who made up an live Koppix based CD (a RIS, in fact).

I am not a programmer, neither I have too much time to spent on Internet, but medical debian seems to be rather obsolete.

I am not
nor pretending to be a radiologist. Nor would a radiologist read a 500x700
pixel image, jpegged or raw, on the screen (what the windows program saves a
jpeg is apparently the screen image, not a compression of the main data).

compression is also part of the DICOM standard. A DICOM MIME type also exists.
(DICOM is transmission oriented, and peer-to-peer oriented yet; I haven't seen to much DICOM-node setup interfaces to use anything else then "IP" to identify a peer on the LAN, though an AE --application entity-- Title is compulsory to identify a node as DICOM-node)