Re: alternatives to sane in scanner software.......

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:51:12AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> >I scan using and HP PSC all-in-one money pit and it works flawlessly
> >with xsane.
>
> Maybe its worth buying this scanner.  Is it a SCSI one?  Maybe they work
> more easily in sane and xane.....

no, its a USB Hewlett-Packard PSC 1210 (PSC=print, scan,
copy). They're now up to PSC 13xx or something like that -- also works
great. the hplip package seems to just work with these devices, but
then HP helped write them, I believe.

> >> I get all these weird I/O output crashes. Sane sort of works but is
> >flaky
> >> sometimes.

so sane works a bit, what's the difference between sane and xsane. I
know they are different packages, but have they forked the backend?
huh. weird.

  I have tried the gimp quite insane thing and it also dies
> >with
> >> the I/O problem.
> >>

> >how about some output for us to look at?
>
> OK.  BUt Xsane just produces one line error messages to the screen.  If it
> writes a log file somewhere or could set up to do so as a job then this
> might help.

have you tried running xsane from a terminal to capture any output it
might be sending to stdout?

you might try purging the whole mess and/or killing the config's for
it and starting over -- check the manpage for a list of config files
that get written, there are several.

> Sane and the probes of sane success in detecting the scanner produce lots
> of nice output.  I have planted it on numerous sites and bored the pants
> off people with it but have not yet got any joy.  The last two mailing
> lists resulted in no response at all with any suggestion of how to improve
> things. I
>
> I think mine is a genuinely tough case.

soudns like it. good luck