Re: alternatives to sane in scanner software.......

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:24:35AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Hello after a while on this.  I have tried xsane in Debian and Fedora until
> I am blue in the face and I can't get it to work.  I am starting to think
> the only way to get a scanner to work in Linux is if you write the program
> in assembler code and hire an idiot savant to configure it.

no, just a lot of monkeys.

seriously though, what scanner? I missed it if you mentioned it
before?

I scan using and HP PSC all-in-one money pit and it works flawlessly
with xsane.

> I get all these weird I/O output crashes. Sane sort of works but is flaky
> sometimes.  I have tried the gimp quite insane thing and it also dies with
> the I/O problem.

how about some output for us to look at?

> Vuescan works instantly and effusively.   But it is proprietary.  Does
> anyone know of some even really crappy alternative?  What is xscanimage?
> Does it work?  Is it in the packages?

I believe xscanimage is in the repos: apt-cache search is your friend
here.

andrew@debian:~$ apt-cache show sane
Package: sane
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 248
Maintainer: Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: sane-frontends
Version: 1.0.14-1
Replaces: sane-gimp1.2, sane-gimp1.3
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libgimp2.0 (>=
2.2.0+rel), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0),
libieee1284-3, libjpeg62, libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.2), libsane (>=
1.0.11-3), libusb-0.1-4 (>= 2:0.1.10a)
Suggests: gimp
Conflicts: sane-gimp1.2, sane-gimp1.3
Filename: pool/main/s/sane-frontends/sane_1.0.14-1_i386.deb
Size: 108690
MD5sum: 5bc8daec42ffa32368378c12ef6cb031
SHA1: 4bec89b2bdfe9e43c15903b89d4af6384aca7996
SHA256:
eae1178fd2f8c81bcc60641daa206a6eabc943456c771e1576d1780c853b47e7
 This package includes :
  o xscanimage, a scanner graphical frontend with GIMP 2.0 support
  o scanadf, a command-line frontend for scanners with Automatic
  Document Feeder  o xcam, for acquiring images continuously from
  cameras.
 .
 An alternative to xscanimage called xsane is packaged separately.
 .
 The scanner frontends use SANE.  SANE stands for "Scanner Access Now
 Easy" and is an application programming interface (API) that provides
 standardized access to any raster image scanner hardware (flatbed
 scanner, hand-held scanner, video- and still-cameras, frame-grabbers,
 etc.). The SANE standard is free and its discussion and development
 are
 open to everybody. The current source code is written to support
 several
 operating systems, including GNU/Linux, OS/2, Win32 and various
 Unices
 and is available under the GNU General Public License (commercial
 applications and backends are welcome, too, however).
Tag: interface::x11, role::sw:application, uitoolkit::gtk,
use::downloading, works-with::image:raster, x11::application

as you can see, it comes with the sane package.

> Even an abacus connected to the scanner would be better than nothing.  You
> coujld GPL it.

printing would be tough.