Re: Preferred Mirrors for Apt

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:17:14PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 18:35, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 04:23:01PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > > David Baron:
> > >
> > > There is absolutely no reason to keep several official mirrors in your
> > > sources.list. They all contain the same software (that's why they are
> > > called mirrors). On 'apt-get update', apt will download all package
> > > lists from every mirror, but on 'install' it will only use the first
> > > mirror mentioned in your sources.list anyway.
> > >
> > > If your primary mirror is unreliable, pick another one or keep entries
> > > using a different mirror *commented out* in your sources.list and enable
> > > them only when your primary mirror freaks out. Otherwise, you are
> > > abusing bandwidth donated to the Debian project.
> >
> > this seems like another good time to mention apt-spy. very useful.
>
> Should have a look at that.
>
> A wishlist for apt-get. EVERYONE will be using stock stable/unstable/testing
> groups of packages. So these packages could have a 1st-mirror, 2nd-mirror,
> etc. Special packages such as systemimage, qmail, etc., would be specified in
> sources.list as now.

are you saying that certain core packages should come from the master
archive only and all others from the mirror? You may be able to do
this in apt.conf somehow. How about just double checking the md5 sums
from the master archive? regardless, ISTM that the odds of any one
mirror being compromised are about the same and why the master archive
wouldn't necessarily be compromised is beyond me. IOW, I don't see the
advantage to what you propose.

 IIRC, apt will update from all servers in
sources.list and pull from them in order of appearance in the file. I
don't know what happens if the first one fails -- does it move on to
the next mirror?