Re: Preferred Mirrors for Apt

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 21:48, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:17:14PM +0200, David Baron wrote:

> > > this seems like another good time to mention apt-spy. very useful.
> >
> > Should have a look at that.
> >
> > A wishlist for apt-get. EVERYONE will be using stock
> > stable/unstable/testing groups of packages. So these packages could have
> > a 1st-mirror, 2nd-mirror, etc. Special packages such as systemimage,
> > qmail, etc., would be specified in sources.list as now.
>
> are you saying that certain core packages should come from the master
> archive only and all others from the mirror? You may be able to do
> this in apt.conf somehow. How about just double checking the md5 sums
> from the master archive? regardless, ISTM that the odds of any one
> mirror being compromised are about the same and why the master archive
> wouldn't necessarily be compromised is beyond me. IOW, I don't see the
> advantage to what you propose.

No. The main packages are taken from the mirror but since everyone is using
these packages, one can specified a list of preferred mirrors and they can be
tried until one works. I want unstable from mirror1,if not mirror 2, etc.

Other packages not on the "main" would have their repositories specified
explicitely in sources.list.