Re: VCS systems on linux

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 03:35:54PM -0800, John L Fjellstad wrote:

> But the versions of the files that doesn't get checked in during the
> fileset, doesn't get change, does it?  From what i understand from the
> manual.
>
> So, I have fileA, fileB, fileC at v5. I change fileA and fileB, and
> check in the set, fileA and fileB has v6 and fileC still has v5.
> Now, if I check out v6, I will get fileA, fileB at v6 and fileC at v5.
>
> Am I wrong?

I guess the point is that it does not matter.  If you want, you can
think of the repository version as a tag that is made every single time
you check in.  It just happens to be an incremented number instead of a
symbolic name.

The reason that subversion does it that way is probably to eleminate the
need to have to think of files as being different versions.  This is
possible because if you check out at rev 6, you get fileC at rev 6.  It
happens to not have changed since rev 5, but it is also present in rev
6.

Checkout these two parts of the manual:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.revs
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html#svn.forcvs.revnums

After having had to deal with CVS for a few years, I can say that it is
very refreshing how subversion handles many things better than CVS.
Versioning is one of them.

Regards,

-Roberto
--