Re: VCS systems on linux

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 11:45:04AM -0800, John L Fjellstad wrote:
>>
>> Well, not exactly.  CVS only does vcs-per-file.  That is, it doesn't
>> know anything about the interrelationship between files.
>> The new generation vcs', like subversion and arch does keep track of
>> batches of dependencies.  That is, say you change file A and B (which
>> depends on each other), and check them in together, then in Subversion,
>> they have the same version number. So, if you check out by version
>> number, you will get all the files (and older) that got checked in for
>> that version.
>>
>> OTOH, if you are checking out a specific file, I don't know any vcs that
>> will check out all files that this specific file depend on.
>>

> Actually, subversion versions the entire repository.

But the versions of the files that doesn't get checked in during the
fileset, doesn't get change, does it?  From what i understand from the
manual.

So, I have fileA, fileB, fileC at v5. I change fileA and fileB, and
check in the set, fileA and fileB has v6 and fileC still has v5.
Now, if I check out v6, I will get fileA, fileB at v6 and fileC at v5.

Am I wrong?

--
John L. Fjellstad