Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 06:38:46 -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Ken Irving <fnkci@uaf.edu> [061202 06:26]:
> > On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 05:34:23AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > Does synaptic do something better than apt-get?  It doesn't appear to
> > be very usable on a command-line, looking at aptitude show synaptic.
>
> Unless you are not running X, why is that a problem?
>

> > >From another thread:

> > > Au contraire...  The docs are quite explicit about this: use *aptitude*.
>
> The fact is that Debian installs synaptic by default.

I think synaptic is only installed by "default" if you use the tasksel
"desktop" option to set up your system. Not everybody does that. In
fact, since Debian is often used on servers it needs a default package
manager which does not depend on X. This default package manager is
aptitude right now as far as I know.

--
Regards,
          Florian