Large file uploads via PHP

We have a user who wants to upload podcasts to her website via PHP forms (Wordpress & Drupal). Some of the podcasts are in the 60-minute+ range and take up over 100MB. Has anyone on the list had experience with this sort of thing?

Our setup:
Dell PowerEdge 2400, 700MHz P3, 1.25 GB RAM, running stock Sarge 2.6.8-3-686 SMP kernel
Apache 1.3.33 (standard Sarge build)
PHP 4.3.10-18 (via suphp package), running as CGI

Thus far, I've modified the following php settings:

upload_max_size 250M
post_max_size 500M
memory_limit 500M
max_execution_time 3600

and the following Apache setting:
Timeout 3600

I had to modify Firefox as well, via about:config.

After all this mucking around, the file still took 20 minutes to upload--over our LAN, no less! While the file was being written to the upload_tmp_dir (/tmp), the php4 process gobbled over 100MB RAM. If this only happened once a day, we might be able to live with it, but ten concurrent uploads of this size would pretty much bring things to a halt. How have you all handled this?

--John