Re: laptop display (CORRECTION!)

Mark Grieveson(dg135@torfree.net) is reported to have said:
> Mark Grieveson wrote:
> >>
> >>If you put vga=0x305 in your grub/lilo setup you can get 1024x768 in
> >>kernel-inage-2.6.8.
> >>ie: in Grub
> >>kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8y root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x305 ro
> >>
> >> :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-) > >>Wayne
> >Hi Wayne. Thanks for your feedback. I'll try that. I'm using Etch; > >so, I think the image is now 2.6.17.
> >Mark
> >
> I tried this, but it did not work. It changed the initial text that is > displayed as Linux is loading,
 Which is what I thought you had asked about in the initial query and
thats what it is supposed to do. Give you a full screen display 'on the console'

> but the xserver of Etch overrode this > setting, and returned the display to 800x640, with this displayed as a > smaller space within the entire screen (not using the full screen).

Because you must not have the below in your XF86Congig-4/xorg.conf.

I also posted the information for X but you never responded.  Here it
is again.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       31.5-57.0
        VertRefresh     50-90
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Trident Microsystems Cyber 9397"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    16

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

WT

Hey Wayne, thanks so much! That works. It's now displaying things properly in a full screen. I must have missed your first posting of this, but fortunately I caught it this time.

Mark

ps, I wonder why dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (and/or dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg) got the settings wrong. This resulted in the DefaultDepth being set at 24, and the HorizSync and VertRefresh were slightly different too.